Tuesday 8 October 2013

spring bow hunting goats

Spring bow hunting is here and so is the new plant growth. I have seen numbers of goats looking and feeding on the new plant growth on the road edges for the first time since last spring. They are venturing out from safe cover to eat the tasty new growth presenting great hunting.
This time of year is one of my hunting favourites because its still has cool temperatures making it easier going for those steep hills and bush bashing. But most importantly for me is the extra daylight hours, meaning more bow hunting time. Now i can finish work jump in the car, be on the hunting site within 20 mins, and hunting within another 10. I like this as it gives me the hunting hours i want in the bush looking and the time learning the ground as i go.
 Twice last week i duffed up two good bow opportunities. I do not hunt road side but if presented with an animal i will head into the bush and try and flank them (especially as my freezer is low on curry at the moment.) . I drove past a number of good goats on the road side which was bush edge and part of some land that I was heading out to hunt. I drove past and jumped out for a stalk in behind them. As much as they seemed to be used to cars passing them, they were still very alert and I have to assume under some other hunting pressure. The first group bolted when my good old dog got to excited leaving the car yelping and whimpering, i stalked in after them for a hour and heard them crashing off, so no curry that night. I found some interesting new ground, but they had bolted good and proper.
 The other was much the same but they winded me with a eddy coming around a steep hill side.  
But other than that i have gone home with something every hunt in the last 2 weeks. I have taken a few guys out with me and they have been fortunate to drop a good couple of goats themselves. Its been great being able to head out every week night.
In my weekends that I am not taking huinters out (which are few these days) i search out new grounds and have found some interesting spots off an old paper road. I need to put some more time into scooping new grounds before offering them as a hunt. but they are looking very promising at this stage. I am not a trophy hunter but boy oh boy did I see some goats heads of note.

Happy spring bowhunting!  

No comments: