Monday 15 July 2013

Ghillie suit test 1

I know many of you reading this will be shaking you heads and wondering if i have watched too many youtube videos of keen Paintball players. But I had to know if Ghillie suits where worth the trouble.

first test was a walk up in bush to a mob of Goats I knew was in the area but may have no cover for the final 50-100m of stalk. So as you would imagine they are fairly hot and these suits, the Jackal by Camo Systems, are loud rustling suits. thankfully we had wind and it was a southerly so cool and sound cover.

When i got these suits they were at the top end of the price range and they are made fairly well, but i have a mate with one that was a third the price which is silent and nearly as invisible, but its made from wool type yarn which catches all the bush around you. Shop around do your research, and give some serious thought to making your own.

With the Jackal I had to cut most of the loose attached camo on the inside of my left arm and chest to free up the bow string. the head gear has had no real hunting design thought, as its loud and hugely obstructive to your vision and your hearing. I have drastically cut the head gear and chopped  2 huge holes for my ears. its now just acceptable for bow hunting but i hate wearing the head gear as it effects anchor points and hearing.

ok I have got my moaning out of the way. these suits are actually ok for stalking. Where i am learning to love these things is final approaches where you have limited to no cover. I have stepped around a corner to unexpectedly see a herd of goats i had been stalking looking at me from 15m. because i froze as they turned none saw me actually move, they all just starred at me. i think they where trying to recall if that "shrub" had always been there.

so the stalk in these pics was definitely aided by the suit as i had to step out of cover for the shot. However at 45m my field tip sighted pins where to high and right for the 100grain Muzzys and i duffed the stalk.         

So far i am all for Ghillies when the cover is sparse, as long as your game doesn't see you move (quickly) you seem to have a great advantage. its a bit like a mobile maimai but no place to put your coffee. I am keen to try these on Canadian Geese.













No comments: