Thursday 11 July 2013

Good West Coast Pig.

I got very lucky in the weekend. I took another keen bow deer stalker out on Sunday. The wind was blowing westerly and strong maybe 20 knots. We stalked in on a big herd and had a nice ridge to approach right into about 30m. wind was running across us so good for the stalk.  We both popped up (I had my bow for a change) and the herd had move very close to our spot while we where stalking. My hunting guest was a new archer he was a little slower in deciding on which goat to take, I let my arrow go onto a nice nanny. What should have been a good take down actually it hit a fence wire and deflected up, the herd then took off before my fellow bowman could fire a shot.


Well that is life in hunting but I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw two wild pigs 157 meters away (range finder). They were lying down in the sun.    It was an easy stalk in terms of sound as it was grass and the wind was providing good background noise, but absolutely no cover. Only a fence line running striaght to the pigs, at least it was a little cover but not much.

Long story short, my fellow bowman was kind enough to give me the stalk. I took very the stalk slowly, although it was fast if compared to bush stalking, but i had no cover for 110 meters so closing the gap quickly before the pigs moved or looked my way was important. Got to the last 40 meters and was then able to drop under a bank into position and pop up for an easy 25 meter shot. we didn't weigh him but felt like around 60kg.  happy days!








No comments: